Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Travel Diaries | Gurez Day 4


Travel Diaries | Gurez Day 4

08 September 2026

What to write and what not to write.

Honestly, I am a little overwhelmed.

There is simply too much to say about Gurez, and still I feel that words will not do justice to this place.

So, let’s skip the unnecessary details and come straight to today’s journey.

Gurez is not just about beautiful mountains. It has a fascinating history and a very distinct culture.

The valley has long been associated with the Dard community, also known as the Dard-Shina people, who speak the Shina language.

What impressed me most was their warmth, simplicity and deep connection with this land. Their relationship with the Indian Army is also something you notice everywhere. The people here have stood firmly with India through some very difficult times.

Coming to today’s journey.

We decided to drive towards Niru and Chakwali, deep inside the Tulail Valley.

And believe me when I say this.

These are among the most beautiful landscapes I have seen in India.

I now understand why Gurez is often called the Crown of Kashmir.

The Kishanganga River stayed with us for most of the journey. Green meadows, wooden houses, mountain streams, hanging bridges and huge mountains on both sides.

Every few kilometres, we wanted to stop and take another picture. And yes, we did take plenty. 😄

There were several security checkpoints along the way where entries had to be made. Fortunately, that part was quite comfortable for me, thanks to friends and the arrangements made for us.

The farther we went, the more remote the valley became.

Finally, we reached Chakwali, one of the last civilian settlements in this part of the valley, very close to the Line of Control.

From here, the mountains across the LoC are clearly visible, and you can even spot security posts on the opposite hills.

Standing there and looking at those mountains is an experience in itself.

The landscape is difficult to describe.

You just keep looking.

And keep clicking.

And still feel you haven't captured enough.

We started our return journey and stopped at Niru for lunch. The hospitality there was once again wonderful.

We reached Dawar around 4 PM.

Then came another beautiful experience.

Habba Khatoon Peak.

Standing above Dawar like a silent guardian, the mountain carries the name and legend of Kashmir’s famous poetess, Habba Khatoon.

There is a beautiful story of love, separation and poetry associated with her. I think that story deserves a separate post, so I will keep it for tomorrow.

By around 7:30 PM, we reached the Shina Cultural Centre.

We watched a beautiful laser show depicting the history, culture and life of the Shina community and Gurez Valley.

It was a lovely way to understand the place beyond its mountains.

And then the day ended exactly the way a mountain day should.

A riverside campfire with friends. 🔥

Sitting beside the river, surrounded by mountains, after a day like this.

What more could one ask for.

Today was one of those days when the camera kept working, but the mind was simply trying to absorb everything.

And the girl gang.

Completely mesmerised. ❤️

I think Gurez has surprised all of us.

Tomorrow, I’ll share a little more about Habba Khatoon, her story and the legend behind the mountain and spring that carry her name.

For today, just a few pictures.

Because sometimes pictures can say what words cannot.

Gurez. ❤️🏔️

#TravelDiaries #GurezValley #TulailValley #Chakwali #Dawar #KashmirDiaries #Shina #DardCommunity #HabbaKhatoon #Kishanganga #FamilyRoadTrip #MountainDiaries

No comments:

Post a Comment